Hey hey, it’s Jillian here in Week 4 of the One Room Challenge! Things are shaping up in The Brick Nests HQ. Today we are chatting about styling bookshelves. I’ve decided to introduce a different type of collection to my office shelves in the form of baskets! I know that not many people collect things anymore, but I am bucking that trend and starting my very own basket collection thanks to my mother-in-law, who has so many cool treasures at her nest I could fill bookcase upon bookcase with them. This time I chose to have her bring me a few baskets for these shelves as I thought the warm wood tones would look beautiful with the cool gray paint color, and boy do these beauties really pop!
But before I reveal the entire collection, first let’s get you up to speed! In Week 1 of this challenge we looked at before photos and the plan for this office space. In Week 2 the HQ was transformed with paint! Week 3 was all about the artwork. Take a few minutes to check those posts out if you haven’t already. Also don’t miss out on all the amazing room transformations happening over at Calling it Home. There’s inspiration galore!For this playroom-turned-office I wanted to do something different with the bookshelves. I am tired of bookshelves filled with lots of books I don’t read anymore, as these days most things I read online or on the Kindle, so when we cleaned this room out to renovate we cleaned the books out too. Goodbye books and hello baskets!
I also decided to remove some shelves to hang artwork as shown above. I am loving my little basket collection, and I’m even storing things in some of the baskets to make this collection functional as well. Looking at these shelves now I am thinking I may just add my collection of birds to the baskets too! Starting your own collection, whatever that may be, can give your home that touch that really reflects your personality and interests. Below is a before photo to show you where we started from and how my basket collection is sprucing up these bookshelves beautifully.
Enough of those frightening before photos. Now here’s a reminder of my vision for the rest of this room aside from the baskets!
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
Hopefully this basket collection has motivated you to start your own collection. Most of these baskets are antique, but a nice selection can also be found here. I will be back next week to chat about the furniture for this room, and then the following week will be the big reveal, so be sure to stay tuned!
Thanks for reading today. We would love for you to stay in touch, so please subscribe to our weekly email to stay in The Brick Nests’ loop.
- My nest is not a museum, it is a comfortable, charming, unique, fabulous home with young children. I have high-end custom pieces, vintage tag sale finds, authentic antiques, colorful prints, and basic box store staple furniture. There are many ways to add functional style to your home and I can't wait to share my ideas and inspirations with you!
- Jillian's Nest2017.11.16The Brick Nests HQ Reveal (One Room Challenge)
- Jillian's Nest2017.11.08Sneak Peek of The Brick Nests HQ (One Room Challenge Bonus Week)
- Jillian's Nest2017.11.01Furniture–Using What You Got! (One Room Challenge Week 5)
- Jillian's Nest2017.10.25Styling Bookshelves with Baskets (One Room Challenge Week 4)