Hey! Lisa here, with another Nests’ Nifty Nine! If you didn’t know already, I just love the color combination of coral and blue. I chose this crisp and cheerful color combo for my living room and that room’s collection of throw pillows, and the bold pairing makes the whole room feel energized. Recently, Jillian and I helped a friend with decorating her family room. The room was a blank slate, so we chose coral and blue as a color scheme, and had so much fun pulling together all the elements of the space. In this Nests’ Nifty Nine, many of the items below are what we suggested for our friend’s family room, as well as a few others that would be great to throw into the mix if you are looking to incorporate this fresh palette into your home.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read our full disclosure policy.
1. As you may know, I am a crazy throw pillow lady, so needless to say I love the throw pillows in this Nests’ Nifty Nine! Let’s start out with this blue and white pillow. Of course, blue and white is a classic color combo which compliments almost any other color, but it’s the simple geometric print that makes this pillow so versatile. While it’s lively enough on its own to jazz up a solid color (whether that solid color be a chair, couch, or pillow partner), it’s not so busy that it couldn’t be paired with a contrasting pattern. The medium-size scale of the print would look great against a smaller-scale or larger-scale print.
2. This couch, with its sharp, clean lines and lovely, saturated dark blue shade would be the seating star of any room. It would add a substantial shot of color to a space without ever feeling loud. It is a backdrop against which other patterns and textures can shine, but it also stands out as beautiful on its own. For those of you neutral lovers who are afraid of picking a color of which you may tire, deep blue is the hue for you!
3. On to the next pillow! The coral color of this pillow is like a ray from a tropical sunset–warm and happy! The pretty white Deco-style border gives it just enough interest that it could stand alone, or very easily be paired with any type of print. Who doesn’t love a simply gorgeous throw pillow?
4. Another great way to bring in coral to a room would be with paint, like this vibrant Coral Reef shade by Benjamin Moore. Energetic coral on dining room walls would set the tone for lively dinner conversation! Not ready or willing to commit to painting a whole room this color? Consider refinishing a tired piece of furniture with the appropriate type of coral paint, such as chalk paint, to create a showstopper accent piece (see how we did this with green chalk paint in this post!).
5. This line of throw blankets from Serena and Lily is fantastic. They are soft and cozy, the perfect weight to leave out all year round, and come in a range of beautiful colors, like this lovely coral shade. The fringe is a charming detail, and the classic herringbone pattern is subtle enough that it will play nicely with any other patterns in the space.
6. Artwork! Yay! As I mentioned in my bio on our About page, I have a background in art history and absolutely love art. Jillian also shares this love for art, and lucky for her, her walls are adorned by her artist mother-in-law’s beautiful original pieces (I have a few of them as well!). But, as much as it would be great to have an original work of art on every wall, it’s not always possible, and in that case, a print is an excellent alternative. This tranquil blue landscape print by David Dimond available on Serena and Lily, with a punchy pop of color in the canoe in the foreground, is great for those looking for artwork that feels contemporary but not abstract. Don’t you just want to be sitting on that dock?
7. For those who are looking for an abstract artwork (or close to abstract…perhaps this is floral???) in a coral and blue palette, you need look no further that this beautiful print by Andi Pahl available on Minted. It’s an effervescent explosion of color that would be a fantastic focal point on any wall. The great thing with this artwork is that you can choose from many sizes and frame options to customize it to your space.
8. And we’ve arrived at the final throw pillow. Oh, how I adore this pillow! I don’t own it, but I want to. I’m not sure how I would describe this print…a stylized, squared-off animal print? It doesn’t matter, because it’s simply fabulous. This is another example of the ever classic blue and white combo, but as the white is pretty dominant in this print, the effect is bright and fresh. This print would also mix well with other patterns and textures, and I think would really shine paired with a large-scale floral or botanical print. It’s a pillow winner for sure.
9. How fun is this coral cactus-print wallpaper? It’s definitely a statement, but it’s okay to be a little playful and spirited with decor choices! This would be unexpected and lively in a small space like a bathroom, or would bring interest to a bedroom as an accent wall behind the bed. Just looking at this warm desert print makes me forget all about the chilly March weather in New England!
This uplifting color pairing is really like a breath of fresh air! I hope this Nests’ Nifty Nine has inspired you to bring some coral and blue into your home. Let this bright combo brighten your day too!
- I believe that a home and a life can be not only functional and family friendly, but also beautiful and stylish. I love vivid colors and energetic prints, and infusing classic design with contemporary personality, global influences, and coastal elements. I'm so excited to share my thoughts, tips, and ideas, from my nest to yours!